The market for services in the areas of health and well-being, as well as beauty and fitness, is one of the most attractive for entrepreneurs. According to Sebrae Nacional, both activities related to the control and prevention of diseases and those with aesthetic purposes are highly sought after by Brazilians.
In this article, we list some of the main requirements for setting up a clinic, whether medical, dental, dermatological, etc. Read on and see 6 essential factors for the success of this type of project!
What are the types of business in this sector?
Services related to health and quality of life serve a wide audience. There are from offices for pregnant women, postpartum women and babies, as well as those exclusively for elderly people. Not to mention the variety of medical and therapeutic specialties. Examples of businesses with a guaranteed public are:
• offices of pediatricians or geriatricians;
• gynecological or urological offices;
• nutritionist clinics;
• clinics of psychologists or psychiatrists;
• pedagogy or speech therapy clinics;
• eye clinics;
• dental offices;
• dermatological clinics;
• medical specialty offices, such as endocrinology, cardiology, pulmonology, oncology, among others;
• offices for integrative and complementary practices, such as traditional Chinese medicine, homeopathy, herbal medicine (medicinal plants), meditation, reiki, etc.;
• physiotherapy and physical rehabilitation clinics;
• spaces for sports health consultants, such as running, cycling, etc. instructors;
• urban spas, with treatments aimed at slimming or relaxation, as well as aesthetic treatments;
• pilates and yoga studios, among many others.
How to open an office?
Once the area of operation has been defined, it is necessary to determine the investment in fixed assets (such as facilities, furniture, equipment, etc.) and it is important that everything is planned in accordance with the RDC (Resolution of the Collegiate Board), which is a series of rules regulatory bodies whose objective is to assign responsibilities to companies and professionals to ensure the quality standards of services aimed at the health of the population.
The next step is to estimate the working capital — the amount needed for the company to sustain itself until it starts to pay off.
To make it clearer, nothing better than to exemplify. Therefore, we list what cannot be ignored by those who want to open an office. Check out:
1. Acquire appliances and furniture
When buying or renting, consider cost-effectiveness and prioritize ergonomics. Regardless of the area of operation, there are basic equipment and furniture. Depending on the specialty, they can be divided into:
• reception, waiting room and hospital furniture;
• computers, scanners, printers and smartphones;
• diagnostic and/or treatment equipment;
• air conditioners and generators, among others.
2. Improve the aesthetics of the environment
Clinics and offices need to be — and look — clean and organized. More than that, in a competitive market like this, the aesthetics of the space must be explored as a differential.
After all, decoration is directly linked to the customer’s experience. Good lighting, pleasant colors, tea/coffee making facilities and water availability and comfortable furniture make patients feel welcome while waiting for care.
3. Plan the business management
Planning management, as well as controlling finances, is essential for the business to be successful. For this, you must:
• establish mission, vision and values;
• have good suppliers (from inputs to equipment);
• be demanding in hiring;
• invest in the constant training of employees;
• determine the budget in advance.
4. Have working capital
As mentioned, working capital is the minimum amount needed to keep the company running until it is self-sustaining. It should be sufficient to cover all anticipated costs and, if possible, unexpected ones.
This avoids late payments as well as having to resort to bank loans. According to Sebrae, it is estimated that the value of the initial working capital, in a health or wellness clinic, is around 10 to 15% of the initial investment.
5. Take care of disclosure
Although in the area of health and aesthetics the indication is the best advertisement, it is important to create a publicity plan. Social media, for example, is a good way to stay connected with your audience — but without commodifying services.
This is also true for actions such as giving birthday greetings, sending messages with news from the clinic, etc. Currently, this can be done via WhatsApp.
It is important to create a website, in which the specialties, opening hours and facilities are shown. In addition, you must have the contacts, as well as a field for those who want to book appointments by email.
Investing in institutional advertisements, such as on television, internet, among other channels, is also worthwhile. However, you must check if the contents comply with the advertising rules of the respective professional council (such as CRM).
6. Investing in technology
Technology makes running the business easier as well as improving the customer experience. Patient records and medical records, for example, can be done through management software.
There are also apps for smartphones that allow you to make appointments, send files with exams and much more. Not to mention the treatments made with specific technologies.
How important is location
Depending on the specialty of the clinic, it may be interesting to be located close to large hospitals, schools or gyms. In this way, your business can complement the needs of the public that already frequents the region.
If possible, the property should be located in a condominium with technologies that favor the safety and comfort of tenants and visitors. Sustainable and connecting solutions are also essential, impacting the day-to-day of the business.
In other words, to get the location of the office right, consider the advantages of the region for patients. Enterprises located in neighborhoods with easy access and complete infrastructure of shops and services helps to retain patients. Which is the case of Medplex Vera Cruz, launched by Cyrela in 2021.
Medplex offers a series of facilities, mainly regarding Anvisa’s requirements for offices – but depending on the use, the standards may vary – and, unlike common commercial rooms that need adaptation and major renovations for adaptation, the structure offered by Cyrela in this venture is complete. Check it out below:
• Condominium developed especially for health professionals; • Fully compliant with Anvisa’s RDC 50 standard; • Water point in all units; • Common areas and elevators with generator; • Solid health waste disposal area on each floor; • Elevator suitable for transporting a stretcher; • Bathroom with accessibility on all floors; • Cleaning material deposit; • Smart parking and valet service; • Security and access control in Lobby and Reception.